Friday, October 2, 2015

In the Cloud





The first text we explore in 8th-grade is the novel Chopsticks, a story with a frustratingly ambiguous ending, told in photographs, screen shots, and letters.  The minimal text gives my readers equal footing when using evidence in the book to support their ideas about what happens to Glory and Frank.

Using Google Slides, groups of students are collaborating to create their own stories using photos that they took with their smart phones.  They are working to visually establish setting, plot, mood, characters, and conflict in the spirit of Chopsticks.  Here is one group's rough draft: Group M rough draft.

Students could also use Google Hangouts to consult on this assignment.  Perhaps their experience would be amusing as my first experience with  Hangouts with Sara and Gregg.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great project! I love the slides that Group M had, although I'm not sure I completely follow the story. But I don't think I completely followed Chopsticks either. There is a tendency to read those visual stories too quickly. I'd like to try one myself. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could plan the project on Google Hangouts while we're in the same room. Tee hee.

      Delete